Also known as caps, magic mushrooms, or shrooms, Mushrooms are a mind-altering drug - a hallucinogen that distorts reality and causes hallucinations. What you hear, see, smell, touch, ect. seem real, though it may not be. Taking any hallucinogen causes unpredictable experiences and can turn ugly quickly, and there is no way of "getting out of it" until the drug exits your system hours later.
This hallucinogen is a dried mushroom that can be eaten or brewed in a tea. The main ingredients in "shrooms" are called psilocybin and psilocin. Psilocybin is structurally similar to serotonin, which is the hormone in your brain that causes you to experience happiness. This drug disrupts the normal functions of the real serotonin hormone that your brain produces.
Ingesting these "magic mushrooms" can lead to very adverse effects. Possible bad reactions to magic mushrooms include nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, paranoia, or unpleasant hallucinations.
Another potentially lethal side effect of experimenting with shrooms is mistaking a poisonous mushroom for a non poisonous one, which is easier to do than most think. Those who do ingest poisonous mushrooms may have as few as 12 hours to seek medical treatment before irreversible and potentially fatal liver damage occurs.